Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mambo!

Hello Hello from Arusha, Tanzania!

I got here Saturday night around 9pm TZ time (that's 7 hours ahead of EST) and didn't sleep much last night. I'll be moving into a homestay in a few days but for now I'm living in a hostel with two other program members, and we have a computer lab- I think the internet service is better than the Ed Center at camp. No joke. Ohh Michigania. You are who and what I miss when I lay awake under my mosquito netting. Awww.

So now I'm here, thousands of miles away from Walloon, A2, Boston, or Hingham. I had just a few days to get ready and no time to prepare, but here I am.

The scariest thing about leaving (as I told Alex when I visited him at school on Thursday) is worrying that something bad will happen while I'm away. That might be a weird fear considering the circumstances, but it's true. Saying it out loud helped. His hugs helped too.

The hardest thing about leaving was knowing that I wouldn't be in easy contact with people for a while. I'm a voice person. I miss hearing everyone and seeing the way their faces move and react when they talk.

The easiest thing about leaving was... everything else. Well, no, that's a lie. I did manage to lose my wallet an hour before leavnig the house, and I forgot my Typhoid meds in the fridge so we got to the Quincy bridge and had to turn back. Other than that I'm feeling pretty damn good. I was oddly comfortable with leaving, and even stranger... I don't mind being here and not knowing anyone. But that's getting ahead of myself.

Let me back up.

Amsterdam.

When I landed in Amsterdam I was immediately overwhelmed by where I was. I was tempted to run out of the airport and explore, then run off and meet Emma in Berlin. It got me really excited for the prospect of spending next semester in Switzerland! Fingers crossed...

It happened in line.

We were in a long winding line waiting to get our bags screened again before boarding. I started looking through the crowd. African men in business suits, women in what looked like saris, and a random assortment of white folk. I overheard a short dude with long curly hair pulled into a pony tail chat up a hiker lady about how he leads treks up Kili. My ears perked up at the word ''crampons.'' (I really gotta climb that...) I kept looking. Empty nester couples in fancy hiking clothes, college kids from Spain, and at least a dozen people wearing t-shirts emblazoned with the names of various volunteer organizations that I had come across in search of my own.

And I thought- ''What the hell are we all doing?''

That was NOT the first time I had thought this while pulling together my travel plans. I have tried to be very clear with myself and others that this is a learning experience, not a volunteer endeavor. I'm not bustin' on over here to 'save the natives!' The probably won't know one way or another that I'm here (''they'' being the population of Arusha, Tanzania, or the African continent for that matter.) Technically, yes, I am teaching. But in reality, I'm here to learn. I believe in public health and in public service. I'm here because water and waste management, gender issues, food security, and environmental justice and degradation are interesting and important to me. I want to know as much about them on a global scale as I possibly can. Who am I to tell a farmer how to do his job? I might have access to more information, but not to instant authority or even respect. If I can convince a few boys and girls that it's worth it to use a condom or at least get tested... that would be a huge success. A bonus, really, on top of this enormous gift-wrapped opportunity.

The first thing I did in Tanzania was lie.

We were greeted on the Kilimanjaro Airport tarmac with health forms about swine flu. They wanted our name, travel history and plan, passport number, and any symptoms. I've had a cough since the end of 10th week at camp, but I knew it would be better to check the 'NO' box to avoid any problems. I fully expected to launch into a coughing fit when I handed it over, but there were no problems and before I knew it I was half asleep in the back of a shuttle bus on the way to Arusha.

You know those mice movies with Fifel? The first one's called American Tail and it has this really cheesy song about being under the same sky. Well, corny as it may be (very) I felt pretty good about things as I looked out the shuttle window and saw them shining down. Never too far from home, I guess.

When I got to the hostel they told me three things.
-the dogs are guard dogs, do not pet them (I could practically hear Alex and my Dad laughing at me)
-don't go outside at night
-do not open your door

Well, cool then, sounds cozy!

I hardly slept at all last night. Around 3am a very confused rooster started crowing. By 4am I hear beautiful wailing chants and songs- we're still trying to figure out what from. By 5am I heard the most AMAZING bird calls. I think Donn Resnick and Mrs. Williams would have fallen over with joy. By the time the sun rose at 6:15 I was more than ready to get going.

AND now I'm being kicked off the computer so I guess I'll add more soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ha I can completely relate to about 95% of what you said in this post. My WTF moment happened when I was landing in Nairobi. I wish I could say I was thinking profound and eloquent thoughts, but really it was just "I'M IN AFRICA. WHAT THE FUCK." hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete