Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sitting in a sandpit, Life is a short trip

Just a picture perfect day
That last a whole lifetime
And it never ends
Cause all we have to do is hit rewind
So let's just stay in the moment
Smoke some weed drink some wine
Reminisce, talk some shit,
Forever young is in your mind


("Young Forever" - Jay Z)

- - - - - - -

Tonight I saw my friend Jenna Raffio for the first time since I left Tanzania 54 weeks ago. It was both wonderful and surreal to see her, and it's insane to think that the adventure that brought us together actually happened.

As I sat on the T on my way home I was struck and shaken by an obvious realization: "I'm going back to Burlington tomorrow. I have a life in Vermont. I have classes, and finals, and oh shit..." Between being in A2 for a long weekend, spending a weekend in Boston with Pip and Adam, living in Hingham for the last week, and seeing a Tanzania friend tonight, I almost forgot where my reality is based. Mind boggling.

Too mind-boggling, in fact.

Yesterday when my brother and I were running errands I broke a long silence by saying "Man, I just want to be at camp right now. It seems bizarre that I'm expected to be anywhere else" to which he replied "I know, right? I would rather fix every toilet in South Camp than work on this law paper." And we laughed, because of course we have plenty to keep us going with our real lives... but that doesn't mean I'm not counting down until Winter Camp (27 days) and in about five minutes we're going to kick back and watch the staff video. Cause sometimes you got to.

No comments:

Post a Comment